Tuesday, September 23, 2008

VIDEO REFLECTIONS

A. SCHOOL TRAIN (A)

  • Loved students’ pictures of weird/ funny faces
  • Fast paced
  • Vivid images
  • Meter and repetition of soundtrack and audio added to the “train” experience
  • Awesome comparisons made to the “school as a train” metaphor
    Homework- tickets
    Desks- seats
    Classrooms- cars
    Teacher/ principal- conductor
  • Implied metaphoric comparisons
    Education is a journey
    School is the vehicle that takes us there (a train)

FOX BECOMES A BETTER PERSON (A+)

This story was great. It was storyboarded well and had a beginning, rising action, climax, and conclusion/ resolution. I appreciated the moral it taught, however at the end Hannah says Fox learned to speak more carefully, but the story was about how he became a better person. I know those two elements are connected, however I did not feel that was emphasized in the story that much, it was more about his actions, not words.

  • Loved the original drawings in the background
  • Loved Hannah’s movement as she acted the story out, it gave depth to the story
  • Loved the modern day ties, (ie. Duck sitting on the couch watching TV)

B. epic2015

  • This was a little frightening for me. I don’t like the fact that I potentially could be cross referenced, type casted, and demographically categorized so that computers know what I want before I do!
  • It also brings to light that any signal we send out can be tracked and nothing is anonymous.
  • To use it in the classroom it is good to know that there is a ton of information out there that can be used. We also must be careful because with essentially everyone with the ability to post, pod cast, and publish online not all information is accurate.
  • There is also the opportunity for students to get information informally that is broken down to a more understandable level or is communicated in a way students understand. Reading from a text book can be a little dull, however participating in pod casts or digital stories is a great way to get current relevant info.

C. Sabrina Journey

I really enjoyed this digital story. I think it is a great example of what I can do with my students. I teach Spanish and government. I think it would be fun for my gov’t students to make a commercial as if they were running for president using childhood pictures to give a brief background, then more current pictures to win voters over.

(My name is Lindsey and I approve this message!)

No comments: