Friday, February 6, 2009

JING

I think Jing is a very useful program. Many times I have had questions about how to do something with technology and have been lost. If only there was something out there to help a visual learner like me? Ah! But now there is! I found out as I was making my screen cast that the microphone does not pick up when the mouse is moving so sorry it is a little rough. It was fun to try and is going to be very helpful as far as tech support goes. I can send step by step pictures with highlights and notes, or make a short example video. It will be useful also to show students how to use some of the technology that I am learning about and trying in class.

My screen cast is about Moodle a course management software that we are encouraged to use at Kodiak High School. We live on an island and a lot of students miss school occasionally whether it is because of extended vacations or that we happen to have amazing athletes that travel to compete off island. Moodle provides a way for students to catch up on assignments and see what they missed when they are off island. I demonstrate how to post a work sheet for student practice.

C:\Documents and Settings\lglenn01\Desktop\2009-02-06_2225.swf

(I am in the process of converting this movie to post it on Youtube)

Moodle (in a couple of bullets)
  • Class calendar to inform students of course events
  • Provides a topical guide of the course
  • Allows students to access information when they are not in class
  • Facilitates forums, wikis, quizzes, chats, hot potato games, and more!


I am still getting to know Moodle and its capabilities. I have started a forum that students are going to add to about vocabulary that we are working on about what they like to do in their leisure time. I created groups with all of my classes and next week we are going to see how they do. Moodle is a great tool for students to access when they are not able to be in class. They can look up the objectives and see what they are missing. My next goal with Moodle is to record a short narrative and have students listen and translate!

No comments: