Thursday, December 11, 2008

Final Reflection

Lindsey Glenn
ED 693

I really enjoyed this project; however it could be due to the subject of my story. Now that I understand better how digital storytelling technology and software works I am looking forward to implementing these technologies in my classroom. I teach Spanish and government at Kodiak High School. Students walk around with computers in their pockets everyday. They communicate, socialize, and interact with their environment through technology. As an educator if I can use this knowledge to make a connection with them I will be able to help them be successful in the world after high school.
I have been on maternity leave and have only been in the classroom for a little over two weeks. As the end of the semester approaches I decided that my Spanish students would create a children’s book for their semester final. Before they started their stories students had to create story maps, story boards, and then their final project. The supporting documentation was a great help to keep students organized and help them create really quality stories. I also teach a U.S. government class and am looking forward for them to create public service announcements digitally.
I have been working with our district technology department to get our computer labs equipped with the appropriate software and tools that we will need to create digital stories. Through this project I have encountered a frustrating element of digital storytelling at our school. We lack many of the essential tools necessary to create digital stories and there are not many other teachers who are familiar with digital stories. My principal is very supportive of technology and recognizes the asset it can be to education. As a pioneer in digital storytelling in my building I will be learning along with my students and hopefully be able to help other teachers effectively utilize technology too.

No comments: